
File photo for representational purposes only.
| Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
China’s Commerce Ministry said on Thursday (August 20, 2026) that it strongly opposed a U.S. report about transshipment and urged Washington to cease its “irresponsible accusations”.
The report, released last week, said that the U.S. is losing annual tariff revenue of about $19 billion to $26 billion on goods, largely from China, that are transshipped through third countries to avoid U.S. import duties.

The report “disregards facts and distorts right and wrong,” and is aimed at suppressing and blocking Chinese products, He Yadong, a spokesperson for the Ministry, said at a regular press briefing.
China says ‘firmly opposes’ Trump drone tariffs
China also said it “firmly opposes” new U.S. tariffs on imports of unmanned drones and their components, after President Trump announced duties of up to 100% last week.
Mr. Trump justified the decision on national security grounds, according to a White House statement from last week, as Washington seeks to reduce reliance on imports in an industry China dominates.

Most of the new tariffs are due to take effect on September 3.
Beijing urged Washington to “immediately withdraw” the planned levies. The U.S. measures “overstretch the concept of national security (and) discriminate against relevant Chinese products”, Commerce Ministry Spokesperson He Yadong told reporters in Beijing.
“(The tariffs) disrupt the global drone supply chain and further undermine a fair and competitive market environment. China firmly opposes this,” he said.
Chinese company DJI, founded in 2006, has captured more than two-thirds of the global drone market in recent years, according to several studies.
Since 2022, DJI has been on a U.S. list of Chinese firms linked to the country’s military and subject to restrictions on access to U.S. technology. DJI has fought its inclusion on the list, insisting that it was not owned or controlled by the military.
Published – August 20, 2026 01:58 pm IST