At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says


Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International ⁠and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the ‌EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International ⁠and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the ‌EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.
| Photo Credit: AP

At least 13 ​Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off ‌the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy, ​and two people were rescued, the ⁠head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday (August 22, 2026).

The boat set off early on Thursday, Mostafa ‌Abdelkebir, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, told Reuters.

One of ‌the two survivors told rescuers in ‌a ⁠local boat they had been stranded at ⁠sea for hours after their vessel capsized. The second survivor was in critical condition, said Mr. Abdelkebir, whose group monitors ​migration issues.

Tunisia was ‌once a major departure point for migrants crossing the Mediterranean, but departures have fallen sharply over the past two years amid a crackdown ‌and tighter maritime controls, backed by European ​funding and modern border-monitoring equipment, particularly from Italy.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International ⁠and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the ‌EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.

The groups called on the EU to suspend funding for migration and border-control activities involving Tunisian security forces.

Tunisia has not commented on ‌the statement but has repeatedly said it is bearing the ​brunt of a major migration influx. President Kais Saied said in 2023 ⁠that the influx was aimed at changing the country’s ⁠demographic makeup.

The central Mediterranean route is one of the world’s deadliest migration routes, ‌used by migrants from Africa and the West Asia seeking to reach Europe, often ​in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *